3617 Bancroft Drive Suite #A
How Important Is Vacuuming?
Today’s carpet fibers are designed to hide soil
and reflect light, and have the ability to resist soiling and stains. The
effect of soil in carpet is not as visible as it is on hard surface
flooring where soil remains on the surface and is easily seen. The ability
of today's carpet fibers to hide soiling is a positive feature for most
consumers. However, the lack of apparent soiling does not eliminate the
necessity of regular cleaning.
Most dry soil has razor-like edges that abrade carpet fibers causing
light to reflect differently and giving carpet a dull appearance. Soil can
damage the fibers permanently if allowed to remain in the pile.
A regular maintenance program extends the life and the initial
appearance of your carpet. Specific care information may be available from
your carpet dealer or from a toll free number provided by the carpet
manufacturer or fiber producer.
A good practice is to vacuum often the areas
that receive the most traffic, such as hallways, stairs, exterior entry
ways, and paths in the home where there is constant wear. Vacuum the
entire carpeted area a minimum of twice per week.
Removing loose soil while it remains on the surface is important so
that it is not worked into the carpet pile by foot traffic. Removing
embedded soil is more difficult and time consuming than removing surface
To remove surface soil, push the vacuum forward several feet with the
pile direction of the carpet in a slow, deliberate motion and then reverse
direction. Embedded soil is more effectively removed by pulling the vacuum
against the pile direction in a slow, deliberate motion.
Vacuum Cleaner Selection- For maximum effectiveness, use a vacuum
cleaner that has adjustable and rotating brushes that are able to loosen
ground-in soil, and a strong enough airflow to penetrate to the backing,
extracting all particles. The vacuum cleaner should have an enclosed, high
filtration bag that limits particles from recirculating into the air.
For the best cleaning results, no matter which type vacuum cleaner you
purchase, inspect it periodically to be sure it is functioning properly.
- Keep brushes clean and replace them when worn.
- Keep vacuum hoses and attachments free of obstructions that restrict
- Inspect the vacuum head for rough edges or bent metal that may
damage your carpet.
- Inspect belts frequently to make certain they are working
- Always keep a spare belt for replacement as needed.
- Follow the vacuum cleaner manufacturer's instructions, and change
the vacuum bag when it becomes more than half full. As the bag becomes
full, efficiency is reduced.
How Important Is Vacuuming?
Vacuuming is the most significant element in
the maintenance of carpet and the overall appearance of the facility. Research has shown
that 85% of the soil tracked into a building is dry, and the other 15% is oily. Vacuums
are designed to control this dry soil. Frequent vacuuming removes particulate soil from
the surface before it works down into the pile where it is more difficult to remove.
Walking on the carpet accelerates the rate at which the particles get deep into the pile.
Heavily trafficked areas, such as entrances and major corridors, should be vacuumed at
least once a day. Areas with less traffic, such as offices, should be vacuumed every other
day depending upon conditions.
Our Recommended Vacumms
- Purchasing a New Vacuum